Sunday, February 10, 2008

9 Questions with Leslie Lopez


Celebrity Makeup Artist Leslie Lopez is one of the most sought after artists across the globe whenever "gorgeous" is the goal. From red carpets award events to movie premieres and commercial print and video jobs, some of the most beautiful women in the world - Sarah Jessica Parker, Catherine Zetta Jones, Jada Pinket Smith and Kate Hudson among them - come to her to feel and look their best.

There is a lot of excitement about you speaking at The Makeup Show Miami. Have you done anything like this before?
Yes, a few years ago I presented a Master Class at for MAC cosmetics. Like The Makeup Show presentation, it was for professional makeup artists and people from the beauty industry. I really enjoy working with and speaking to other professional makeup artists.

Tu eres Cubana, si?
Si! I was raised in Cuba until I was 11 and then I came to the United States. Much of my family is still in the Miami area, and will come to see me at The Makeup Show.

How has being raised in Cuba influenced your makeup style?
Latina woman tend to use too much make-up. My Cuban heritage influenced my less is more make-up philosophy. I like to highlight a woman's natural beauty instead of covering it up.

Do you remember the first lipstick you bought as an artist?
Definitely - it was a red Chanel lipstick.

How has the industry changed since you started as an artist?
The industry has changed a lot because when I started make-up had supermodel influence and now make-up is based on celebrity influence. Artists have more of an opportunity to be creative with models. With celebrities there is an image you have to maintain and so you need to stay close to that with your work.

What is the last job you did?
I worked with Kate Hudson on her press tour for ‘Fools Gold’.

What product have you recently discovered that you love?
Yes actually, Dior’s Airflash foundation.

Your clients are strong, secure, confident women. What do you enjoy most about working these women?
All of my clients are very different and interesting. The close relationship I have with my clients allows me to create looks based on what I want to do tailored to my client’s needs and requests.

What would you like to do next?
A make-up line.

Leslie is represented by Artists By Timothy Priano

Leslie Lopez will present the opening Keynote address at The Makeup Show Miami on Sunday, February 24 at 10:30 AM. Admission to the talk and demonstration is included with tickets to The Makeup Show Miami. Tickets are from $30 and are available at www.themakeupshow.com or call 866.876.9337 for more information.

The Makeup Show Miami will be located at The Miami Beach Convention Center and is produced by The Powder Group and Metropolitan Events.

No comments: