Friday, September 25, 2009

Artist Series with MATIN


How have you kept your career growing in a challenging economy? I try not to worry about the economy. I trust my agents an I'm lucky to have loyal clients and a contract.

What three traits does a great makeup artist need to have?

1. Being humble
2. Look at criticism as opportunity to grow 3. Keep getting inspired

What makes a good assistant?
To be able to read the mind of who you are assisting. Staying on top of keeping the kit and brushes always clean and in order. Making sure the makeup station is clean and in order.

Is there a project you have worked on that you are especially proud of? I used to assist Laura Mercier and to this day she is my idol. She trusts me to do her ad campaigns.

What are you working on today?
I am meeting editors.

How did you get started in makeup?
I insisted to assist Laura and didn't take no for an answer.

How long have you been in the industry?
I used to sell make up 24 years ago but moved to NY 11 years ago and started to assist then.

How did you know that you wanted to be a makeup artist?
I didn't at first but make up kept falling in my lap when I needed a job all throughout my adult life. Finally I took it as a sign and submitted to what life offered.

What does “community” mean to you?
A group of like minded people that support each other even if they are competing for the same.

Can you tell us about a change you have made in your career? I decided to leave corporate/training job and do freelance.

Matin will be appearing as the Keynote speaker at The Artist Summit Miami on Oct 4th, and The Artist Summit Chicago on Oct 11th.
In this first time ever event you will experience the artistry that separates Matin from others in the industry and learn the secrets that have kept him working with magazines like Harper’s Bazaar, Nylon, Allure and Elle and the industry’s top photographers and stylists. Listen as he discusses his career, offer tips on how to take yourself to the next level, and demonstrate the techniques that have made him such a sought after celebrity artist with clients including Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Connelly, Liv Tyler, and Rachel Weisz.
To purchase tickets visit www.theartistsummit.com

No comments: