Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Artist Series with Felicia Walker Benson


How have you kept your career growing in a challenging economy? I’ve managed to stay busy by leveraging my networks and optimizing opportunities. I also focus on being useful to others. If you are useful, others will see your value and seek your services. I am always asking, “How can I be useful”, “How can this person/brand use me”. If others have a reason to “use” you...your career will flourish. Focus on what you can offer others…as opposed to what others can offer you!

Is there a project you have worked on that you are especially proud of? I recently had the opportunity to work as Creative Director of Makeup/Lead Artist for a Mercedes Benz New York Fashion Week show (the Vessel by Lois Samuels). This was a great honor and a dream come true. As Creative Director of Makeup, it was my responsibility to design the runway makeup look, partner with the makeup sponsor to select colors, and lead a talented team of artists. Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics was the makeup sponsor…they’re truly an amazing partner!

What are you working on today? I just recently covered NYFW and was Creative Director of Makeup for a show. I’m looking forward to speaking at the upcoming Artist Summit in Miami and Chicago. I’m excited to talk about one of my great passions - beauty blogging!

How did you get started in makeup? My beauty obsession dates back to my childhood. Most kids bought candy with their weekly allowance. Not little Felicia! I bought Jean Nate, V05 hot oil treatments, Lee Press On Nails, mud packs, etc. If the local beauty supply store sold it, I bought it! As a young adult, my friends, family and coworkers always came to me as the go to fashion/beauty girI…so a career in makeup, fashion and beauty feels as natural as breathing.

What does “community” mean to you? I love the concept of “community”. My very existence as a writer/ artist is living proof of the power of “community”. It truly takes a village and I am the product a very close knit and supportive village/community. Constant nourishment of the community is key. Find ways to include others. Share resources/information. Help one another. Share your blessings and be a blessing to others!

Can you tell us about a change you have made in your career? Prior to fully committing myself to fashion and beauty, I spent over 10 years in Human Resources. While still in corporate HR, I worked freelance as a makeup artist and started a beauty blog. ThisThatBeauty was born in April of 2008. Within six months of writing ThisThatBeauty, I got my first press mention as a “top rated” beauty blog. From there ThisThatBeauty continued to flourish and open doors for my makeup artistry. In April of 2009 I launched a line of makeup brushes under the ThisThatBeauty brand. My resume continues to grow at a pace that even I can’t believe! Makeup Artist… Fashion/Beauty Writer….Product line….Celebrity Makeup Artist…Wardrobe Stylist…Bus Dev Consultant…NYFW Lead Artist! The sky’s the limit!

Felicia is the founder and editor of ThisThatBeauty.com. She will be speaking at The Artist Summit Miami Oct 3-5th, and The Artist Summit Chicago Oct 10-12th. For more information and to purchase tickets for The Artist Summit please visit www.theartistsummit.com

No comments: